Quintamid Public License (QPL)
Version 1, November 2003
Copyright © 2003, Quintamid LLC.
This license document may be distributed and/or reused for any relevant purpose, but any alteration of the text may not be distributed or reused with the Quintamid or QPL present.
The Quintamid Public License (QPL) is a general document, prepared to refer to any 'intellectual property' -- that is, any information or media product that could be covered by patent or copyright law.
The QPL was inspired by the Gnu Public License, but the QPL exists for a different purpose. The GPL exists primarily to protect free and open source software -- in fact, to protect the very freedom of it. The QPL is designed to allow creators to offer their work for widespread re-use while protecting their own reputation and original authorship.
The guiding principle behind the Quintamid Public License is that information has inherent value, both monetary value and importance for an Author's reputation. This license protects that value for an Author, while enabling him or her to make his work freely available to the general public.
In particular, the QPL covers all works that are made freely available. The QPL is suitable for software, either source code or compiled; for text; for images; for music, video, and other media; for web sites, web pages, and web design.
To get a quick understanding of the License, simply consider plagiarism. You can reproduce an idea, or incorporate text from another work into your own, so long as you give credit, and reference the original work. The QPL takes just such an approach to freely available intellectual property.
For intellectual property that is not offered for free, or for software in which it is important that the source code be made available, this is not the appropriate License.
Terms and Conditions for Copying, Distribution, and Modification
1. This License protects any work which contains a notice placed by the copyright holder saying that it may be distrubuted under the terms of the Quintamid Public License, or QPL. The "Original Work", below, refers to any such work, and "Derivative Work" refers to any modifications of this work covered by copyright law -- that is to say, any new work containing the Original Work in whole or in part, or with modifications, including translation into other languages.
This License only covers Copying, Distribution, and Modification of the Work. Other activities, such as using the work, are not covered by this License. This License does not offer any warrantee, either on the part of the Original Work, or any Derivative Work.
The creator of the Original Work is known as the "Author", and each Licensee is known as "You".
2. You may copy and distribute, without alteration, any Original Work covered by this License provided that you: (A) conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy the same notice of Copyright that came with it; (B) keep intact all references to this License and the absence of any warrantee; ensure that any recipients have a copy of this License.
You may not charge a fee for the act of transferring a copy of the Original Work without the Author's express permission. You may not include the Original Work in any product that is not free without the Author's express permission.
3. You may modify your copy or copies of the Original Work for your own private use without restriction.
4. You may modify your copy or copies of the Original Work to form a Derivative Work, and you may copy and distribute that Derivative Work, provided you meet all of the following conditions:
These requirements apply to the Derivative Work as a whole. If any portion of the Derivative Work does not, in fact, derive from the Original Work, and that work can be distributed separately, it is not covered by this license.
The Author may release you from any of the above requirements, either out of goodwill or for compensation.
5. Derivative Works incorporating more than one Original Work, or themselves based on Derivative Works, must credit all Original Works and Authors that have contributed to the Derivative Work, first-hand or otherwise.
6. You may not copy, distribute, or modify the Original Work in any manner except as provided for by this License, or as authorized by the Author in writing. Any violation of this License will terminate your rights under the License.
7. Unless you have signed this License, you are not required to accept it. However, nothing else authorizes you to copy, modify, or distribute the Original Work. Any such action is punishable by law if you do not accept the License and abide by its terms. Any act of modification or distribution, therefore, indicates your acceptance of this License.
8. If you distribute the Original Work or any Derivative Work, the recipient automatically receives a License from you. You may not impose further restrictions on the recipient's exercise of the rights granted by this License. Nor are you responsible for enforcing compliance to this License.
9. If for any reason conditions are imposed on you that contradict the terms of this License, they do not excuse you from the conditions herein. If you cannot distribute so as to satisfy your obligations under this License and any other requirements, whether imposed by circumstance or by a court of law, you may not distribute the Original Work or the Derived Work at all.
10. If any portion of this License is determined to be invalid or unenforceable in any particular circumstance, or if the Author excuses you from some particular provision and/or for some particular instance, the balance of this License is intended to apply, and the License as a whole applies in all other circumstances and instances.
11. If the use or distribution of the Original Work is restricted in certain jurisdictions, either by patent, copyright, or other law, the Author may add explicit distribution limitations that exclude those jurisdictions. In this case, this License incorporates those limitations as though they were written into the body of the License.
12. Quintamid may publish revised or new versions of the Quintamid Public License at any time. Any new versions will be similar in spirit to this one.
Each version is given a distinguishing number. If the Original Work specifies a version number which applies to it, only that License applies. If the Original Work includes "any later version", you have the option of following the terms and conditions of either the numbered License or any later version published by Quintamid. If the Original Work does not specify any number, you may choose any version of the License that Quintamid has published.
13. Because it is offered without charge, the Original Work, regardless of its nature, does not come with any warrantee, except as otherwise stated by the Author. In no event, unless agreed to in writing by the Author, will the Author, or any other party who may modify and/or distribute the Original Work or a Derivative Work, by liable to you for damages, including any general, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of the use or inability to use the Original or Derivative Work. Nor is the Author liable for any distribution to jurisdictions where the Original Work may be forbidden by law: if this work is not permitted in your jurisdiction, it is entirely your responsibility.